When undertaking a commercial roofing project, one crucial aspect to consider is the warranty that comes with the roofing system. A warranty provides peace of mind and financial security, ensuring that your investment remains protected for an extended period. In this blog post, we’ll delve into the world of commercial roofing warranties, explaining the different types available, what they cover, and how to select the right one to suit your specific needs.
Types of Commercial Roofing Warranties
Commercial roofing warranties come in various forms, each offering a different level of coverage and protection. Here are some common types:
- Manufacturer’s Material Warranty: This type of warranty is provided by the roofing material manufacturer and typically covers defects in the roofing materials themselves. It ensures that the materials used in your roofing system are free from manufacturing defects. These warranties can range from 10 to 30 years or more, depending on the manufacturer and the type of roofing material.
- Workmanship Warranty: Also known as a contractor’s warranty, this covers the quality of the installation work performed by the roofing contractor. It ensures that the roof is installed correctly and according to industry standards. Workmanship warranties typically last for 1 to 5 years.
- System Warranty: A system warranty combines both material and workmanship warranties into a single package. It offers comprehensive coverage, ensuring that both the roofing materials and the installation work meet specified standards. System warranties often last between 10 to 20 years.
- Extended or NDL (No Dollar Limit) Warranty: An extended warranty is an optional add-on that can provide coverage beyond the standard warranties. It typically covers both material and workmanship defects and may offer protection for 20 years or more. NDL warranties guarantee that the manufacturer or contractor will cover the full cost of repairs or replacement, without a dollar limit.
What Do Commercial Roofing Warranties Cover?
The coverage provided by each warranty type can vary, so it’s essential to read the terms and conditions carefully. Here’s a general overview of what these warranties typically cover:
- Material Defects: Manufacturer’s material warranties primarily cover defects in the roofing materials themselves, such as premature cracking, splitting, or deterioration.
- Workmanship Errors: Workmanship warranties ensure that the roofing system was installed correctly. They cover issues related to improper installation, such as leaks or structural problems resulting from poor workmanship.
- Waterproofing and Weather Resistance: Many warranties cover water infiltration and damage caused by severe weather conditions, such as wind, hail, or heavy rain.
- Insulation and Energy Efficiency: Some warranties may cover aspects related to energy efficiency and insulation performance, helping to maintain the roof’s energy-saving properties.
- Repair and Replacement Costs: Extended and NDL warranties often cover the cost of repairs or replacement, including labor and materials.
How to Choose the Right Commercial Roofing Warranty
Selecting the right warranty for your commercial roofing project is a crucial decision. Here are some steps to help you make an informed choice:
- Understand Your Needs: Assess the specific needs of your roofing project. Consider factors like the climate, expected foot traffic, and your budget.
- Research Manufacturers: If you have a preferred roofing material in mind, research different manufacturers and compare their material warranties. Look for comprehensive coverage and a reputable manufacturer with a history of standing by their warranties.
- Evaluate Contractors: When choosing a roofing contractor, inquire about their workmanship warranty. A reputable contractor should be willing to provide a clear and fair workmanship warranty.
- Consider System Warranties: If you want a more comprehensive warranty that covers both materials and workmanship, inquire about system warranties offered by manufacturers or contractors.
- Review Extended Warranty Options: If you want additional protection, explore extended or NDL warranty options. Assess the cost and benefits of these warranties compared to the standard warranties.
- Read the Fine Print: Carefully review the terms and conditions of the warranty to understand what is covered and any exclusions or limitations.
- Consult with Experts: Consider consulting with roofing professionals or experts in the field for guidance on the best warranty choice for your specific project.
In conclusion, selecting the right commercial roofing warranty is a critical aspect of any roofing project. It ensures that your investment is protected and that your roof will perform as expected for years to come. By understanding the types of warranties available and carefully evaluating your options, you can make an informed decision that aligns with your project’s needs and budget. CP Rankin is here and ready to walk you through the entire process of your roofing project, including discussing which warranties meet your specific needs. Call today: 866-ROOF-322 or contact us online.